Published 2020-03-01. Last modified 2022-04-03.
Time to read: about 4 minutes.
Sony Alpha 7 Mark III
Really great Sony A7 III Tutorial videos on YouTube:
Sony RMT-P1BT remote control – Focus mode only works when the lens is in AF mode and the camera is in manual focus mode.
Leveler display: enter that mode by pressing the wheel where it says DISP twice.
Sony Callback Support
Web page (Enter
PC Remote Control / Streaming / Webcam
Use a USB cable or a wireless Wi-Fi connection. Wi-Fi can be direct or via an access point.
MENU → Network1 → [Ctrl w/ Smartphone] → [Off]
MENU → Setup 4 → USB Connection
→ [PC Remote] Does not allow files on camera to be accessed from PC
→ [MTP] Allows files on camera to be accessed from PC (PlayMemories can autoswitch)
MENU → Movie1 → File Format → XAVC S HD
MENU → Movie1 → Record Setting → 60p 50M
Problems With Resident Sony Software
Disable the resident software option:
Resetting IED and Webcam
The Imaging Edge Desktop and Webcam processes might need to be stopped if they are resident. Run this as administrator, instead of restarting the computer as suggested in the documentation:
C:\> taskkill /IM webcam.exe /IM ied.exe /IM ImagingEdgeWebcamLauncher.exe /F
No Streaming Image
VLC can be used to look at the camera stream:
Other Sony ILM Issues
The motivation for all this: How to video myself?
Imaging Edge Webcam
- Horrible, useless
- No longer displays in VLC, OBS Studio
- Does display in Imaging Edge Remote
- Webcam has no audio (I can live with that)
- Low res (not even 1080p) Dealbreaker
Sony Remote Commander
- How to program - and + buttons for zooming? When I try them, I get:
"This operation or setting not available as follows: File format: RAW & JPEG"
- If I plug in the USB cable, so I can retrieve the data, the remote stops working.
- When I plugged in the HDMI cable, the camera view screen went black. I changed a few settings and this no longer happens.
- When USB is connected, the HDMI output stops and I see “USB Mode Mass Storage” instead. I do not want this to happen.
This is a terrific device, definitely a good investment.
- Supports 1080p60 and 4Kp30
- Captured video from my Sony a7iii camera does not include audio because the Sony camera only provides video, without audio.
- The video image is sometimes scrolled down
Samsung Mirrorless Camera Settings
This camera cannot output clean HDMI, so it is only good for recording to the internal card, not for streaming. Typically I have it set for my studio use to:
- Height: eye level
- Quality: 1080p
- 30 FPS
- Shutter 160
- ISO 800